6 Things To Consider When Hiring A Criminal Attorney
When searching for a good criminal defense attorney, there are many factors to consider. It is important that the lawyer you choose is licensed to practice in your state, has the qualities you are looking for, and will give your case the attention you are looking for. With so many factors (including experience, location, and specialty), finding a quality lawyer depends on your willingness to determine what qualities are most important to you and how much you research.
Important Considerations When Hiring a Criminal Defense Attorney
There are many factors to consider when searching for a criminal defense lawyer. Taking the time to determine what is most important to you and your case can save you time in your search for the right counsel. Some things to consider in your search include:
- Location: An attorney must be licensed to practice in your state in order to represent you.
- Concentration: Though many criminal defense attorneys take on routine defense cases, some will often specialize in a specific area of criminal defense. These concentrations may include DUI, theft, domestic crimes, violent crimes, and technical crimes, among many others. It may be helpful to find an attorney with a concentration associated with your specific charges as this can often times mean more experience in that area of criminal defense.
- Qualities: The qualities you seek in a criminal defense lawyer are specific to you, so it is up to you to decide what type of individual you feel most comfortable having as representation. You can decide whether or not you wish to work with an attorney from a large or small firm, whether you prefer someone with more experience and a larger case load or someone younger with fewer cases to focus on. Is it important to you that the lawyer has strong credentials? Should he or she have expertise in a specific area? Determining what qualities are most important to you will aid you in making the right decision for your case.
- Reputation: In some cases, it can be important to consider a specific attorney’s reputation. Some lawyers are known for taking on difficult, complex, and high-profile cases. You can discover more about a lawyer’s reputation by researching reviews, testimonials, and publications.
- Cost: Because the cost of private defense varies, it is best to have an understanding of what will affect that number. Most attorneys charge based on a variety of factors including their own level of experience, the nature of the charges, complexity of the case, the jurisdiction in which the charges were filed, the length of the case, and whether or not expert witnesses are required.
- Public Defender or Private Attorney: If eligible, the charged individual can be granted a court-appointed lawyer or public defender. Though public defenders will often have more experience with a variety of cases, they will be unlike a private attorney that specializes in a specific area of criminal defense.
Once you have decided what qualifications you want in an attorney you can begin the search for finding criminal defense in your area. AboutBail has a nationwide trusted network of local, qualified criminal defense lawyers, which will help you find a criminal attorney today.